Monday 21 December 2015

2015 ACCELERATE - LONDON UK, WEEK 3

2015 ACCELERATE - LONDON, UK WEEK 3

MEETING WITH KIEREN JONES - UNIVERSITY OF THE ARTS, LONDON
CENTRAL SAINT MARTINS


I had a professional development meeting with Kieren Jones. He is the Jewellery and Textiles Programme; Course Coordinator and Senior Tutor, MA Material Futures.

Kieren Jones is an award-winning designer, maker and artist based in London, producing small-scale architecture and design interventions in response to the built environment. Through his work, Kie
...ren is particularly interested in exploring the notions of amateurism, industry, production and the position of craft in the 21st Century.

Kieren was lovely enough to invite me into his world... I met him at the front of the buiding, then on the way stop off at cafe to pick up a quick coffee on the way to tutorial - MA Material Futures. This is his 2nd Year student, he has invited me to come listen to their individual project concepts.

MA - MATERIAL FUTURES
MA Material Futures explores the intersection of craft, science and technology encouraging students to look beyond existing boundaries to anticipate future needs, desires, and challenges. Taking materiality as the starting point of the design process we integrate high and low technological materials and processes, pursuing relevant applications across fashion, architecture, product design, and communication & critical design.
Observing and analysing how we live today allows us to consider how we can live better tomorrow. Considering the current and future context of design decisions is core to our ethos, combining social, political and economic inquiry to inform future, sustainable design applications.









MEETING WITH MARK WRIGHT
Meeting with business mentor - Mark Wright from People Create UK.

As founding Director, Mark Wright formed People Create in Spring 2007 with the intention of creating credible and inspiring learning for a wide range of organisations and cultures.


We meet each other at the South Bank Centre, where we had a access to members areas and had great space to connect and discuss with each other.

Mark helping me to confront and figure out exactly who I am, where I want to take this leadership development, what does it mean to me, where I want to take my business, what I don't want to be doing, what I shouldn't be doing, what not to be doing in this current fashion industry.

Check out this great views at South bank





2015 FASHION REVOLUTION - UK ART SPEAKER TOUR
MANCHESTER, UK


fashrevtourmanchester

The Arts and Speaker Tour will focus on different thematic areas impacting the fashion supply chain in the global south at each event. Topics will include inequality and human rights; the role of women and girls in the fashion supply chain; climate change, including water, chemicals, carbon footprint; decent jobs and sustainable livelihoods. New research has been carried out specifically for the tour to give valuable new insight each theme.
 The programme will include an overview of the European Year of Development’s 2015 programme, which will inform the panel discussions, ideas about how to get involved in Fashion Revolution, and ways to inspire young people to become part of the solution.

GUEST SPEAKER: CARREY SOMERS










After the screening there was a panel discussion. So I waited patiently in line to meet the Founder of Fashion Revolution Ms Carrey Somers. I introduced myself and told her about myself and meeting with Orsola in London.

Around 630pm, as I headed back to train station to go back to London from Manchester and Ive got a 2 hours train ride, then 40 mins tube ride back to my apartment...

MEETING WITH ORSOLA DE CASTRO
I had the absolute honour to have meet Orsola De Castro while I was in the UK.

After meeting at Fashion Revolution Art Speaker Tour in Nottingham Trent University I was invited into her private studio in London for an epic one on one session with my upcycling idol.


Not only did she give me 2 hours of her time for free but gave me some new connections too while I was in London.

After our meeting she sent e-connection to both Kit Willow from KITX and Melinda Tully from Fashion Revolution Australia. So I extended my stay in Sydney for a week and I set up extra meetings with both of them before I returned back to Perth WA.

I hope to stay in contact with Orsola and continue to keep her up to date with my progress.

After our intense meeting, I walked to Peckham train station, caught train to London bridge and then overground train to Gatwick airport to catch 9pm flight from London to Amsterdam.

Stay tuned for more behind the scenes of 2015 British Council - ACCELERATE program for next 2 weeks!


Keep working hard, believing in yourself + never stop dreaming!


TJ xo

1 comment:

  1. The art and design education is provided by the many universities which help the students to show their top essay services review thoughts and ideas to others with their knowledge and ability and the institutes help the students to polish their ability and make it beneficial for them to make the bright future and to earn living for them.

    ReplyDelete